Wednesday, April 10, 2013

To have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness or in health, to love and to cherish 'till death do us part.

      I've had so much on my mind lately that I'm not sure where to start. Today as I'm sitting home alone (I enjoy my time to just think) I realize how amazing my husband is. I'm not lucky in many parts of life but in the husband department, I am. 

I'm glad that at 16 years old I set my eyes on him at my first job and didn't give up until he said he'd hang out with me. He made me work hard for that ;) Trips back and forth from his house to mine and the long distance phone bills (I'm sure my mother remembers those!) We were young and in love. Life was perfect. After a year of dating I got a promise ring and another year later he proposed. We set a date and a year and a half later we were married. A couple months in, we decided to start trying for a baby because I was told at 16 I'd never be able to have children without having IVF. We never expected to get pregnant, but we did first try and that was Ms. Emerson. He never missed a doctors appointment and was by my side through it all. Those moments in the hospital it showed me what a wonderful man I married. He wouldn't leave the side of my hospital bed, not even to go to the cafeteria and eat. He emptied the portable toilet by the side of my bed, changed the little bed pad thingy and held my hand, day in and day out. He arranged to be off of work to stay by my side. We were prepared for a long stay in the hospital. That week was traumatizing but the wonderful man that I married never left my side. And when we arrived home from the hospital, he answered calls and dealt with visitors. He handled it all as I sat in terrible shock and grieved. He did all this while he was grieving as well. 

He went to follow up appointments with me. Questioned every doctor and we held on to hope. He would listen to me cry and hold me. Through all the early miscarriages (4 of those total) all the negative pregnancy tests, baby shower invites in the mail, pregnancy announcements from others when we so desperately wanted it for ourselves. He stayed. When I just wanted to make him a daddy and there were times when I wish he had married someone else, so he could have skipped all of this traumatic heartache. When I felt like I ruined his life because of my broken body. He put up with all of it. When the grief was so thick that we both couldn't function and life got rough, he stayed. He did all he could to help me stay pregnant. He's an amazing husband and an even better father. I imagine a lot of men wouldn't stick around. 7 years of the same heartache, waiting for heartbeats on ultrasounds, standing outside the bathroom door asking if I'm bleeding because he's so scared we'll lose another, negative pregnancy tests and holding our breath for the bi-weekly cervical length scans with Evelie. I know what it all feels like and I can't believe he never left me. He's still here. Through the whirlwind of the last year, calling Dr. Haney having our phone consultation with him. Derrick asked him so many questions. When I had all mine answered, he still stayed on the phone and made sure Haney answered all of his. Listening to me cry when insurance denied me, then getting different insurance and watching me stress out about getting my surgery approved. And finally traveling with me to Chicago and being a great husband and taking care of me during recovery. Hope is a powerful thing. He is the only person in the world that knows what this journey feels like. He's the only person that I can say "this is how I feel" and he understands it. Sometimes things are hard, we've been through a lot. And I forget how amazing he is and how lucky I am. When he could have easily walked away when this all got too hard, he didn't. He stayed and here we are. I'm proud of how far we've come. I had someone once tell me that we'll be together when our children grow up and move out, because we worked together before we had them. We'll know how to stay together when they're gone. I think the world of him and need to remember to let him know that more often. 

I can't explain to you in words how much I love this man and am thankful things fell into place at the young age of 16. Almost 13 years together. Lots of heartache, 2 beautiful girls that we had to let go, 4 early miscarriages that we never had the chance to meet and endless heartache and just a bit of hope to keep us going. There isn't anything in the world we want more than to raise children and we'll give up anything to do so. I am lucky to have a man by my side that will stand in this storm with me. I can't wait for the day I get to see him holding our child and smiling instead of crying. Until then I need to learn to cherish him and appreciate him more. He's one of a kind. Again, I don't feel like a lucky person at all but I'm extremely lucky to have him. 

Derrick, I don't know what the future holds and I'm sorry the past has been so painful. Thank you for loving me for better or worse, in sickness and in health and taking care of me at my worst. Staying by my side and not leaving when things got hard. I don't tell you enough what you mean to me. I love you with all my heart. I hope in the future we finally achieve the goal we've both worked so hard for. 



1 comment:

  1. You both are lucky to have one another...

    ReplyDelete